My Instagram Feed

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pavlova

I tried my hand at a great Aussie tradition a few weeks ago, and I wasn't disappointed...eventually. I actually had to try my hand at it twice. Live and Learn! The first attempt the eggs never whipped up. I think it was because I had separated them a day or so before hand to use the yolks to make another favorite dessert. I couldn't bear to throw away these egg whites, so I looked for a recipe to use them in. Pavlova. Perfect. I was so annoyed, and so looking forward to some pavlova, I tried again the day after, and this time perfecto! Except, I didn't have the right fruit to decorate. It looks a little like a pile of puke, and Adam wasn't all that impressed. I improvised, and used a Strawberry sauce I made, canned passionfruit, and some canned mandarins (real kiwi and nectarines, though). I guess this could be called the winter version of pavlova. I got the recipe from a lovely cookbook I recieved for my birthday, but since I am bed-bound for the moment, this one I found online is close enough:


4 egg whites
1 cup caster sugar

1 1/2 cups cream, whipped
3 strawberries
2 kiwi fruits

Preheat oven to slow 150C degrees.
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Draw a 20cm circle on the paper.
Beat the egg whites in a large dry bowl until soft peaks form.
Gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition.
Continue beating until the mixture is thick and glossy and the sugar has completely dissolved.
Spread meringue mixture onto tray inside the marked circle.
Shape meringue by running a palette or flat-bladed knife up and down the edge of the meringue, making furrows around the side.
This will strengthen the sides, stopping them from collapsing.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Turn the oven off and allow the meringue to cool completely in the oven.
Whip the cream.
Halve the strawberries and peel and slice the kiwifruit.
Decorate pavlova with cream and fruit.

Here is another version which sounds AMAZING!

Everyone seems to think Pavlova is this major feat, but as long as you use fresh eggs, and truly do have a clean dry bowl, you can't fail. I also suggest seperating the eggs one at a time. If any yolk gets into the mixture, it also won't whip up. So be careful, and all will turn out lovely. After my first attempt, I did some egg research, and made sure I did everything by the book. It worked beautifully.

0 comments: