My Instagram Feed

Monday, February 9, 2009

Recovery

(ok, this post is a little long winded...It wasn't meant to be! I get carried away)

I am amazed at how difficult it is to have a broken limb. I have a new respect for anyone who has to go through this. It's THE MOST FRUSTRATING thing I have ever experienced. THE most.

I am also amazed at the lack of sympathy from people. Some people don't even try to move out of your way. I've been to the doctors and the hospital 7 times in the last 3.5 weeks, my only "outings" since I am still in a lot of pain. I have had to maneuver my way through the waiting room every time. With legs stretched out, people just sit there and look at you, as you embarrassingly struggle to not squish their toes with your crutches, while the carpet catches on your crutches, because of the tight space they are making you get through, and you struggle to keep your balance. It's hard to use crutches!

Some won't even change sides of the the sidewalk, if you happen to be on the wrong side, because you just walked up a set of stairs, and they wait while you make your way to the "right" side of the sidewalk.

I have had some nice encounters too, like when I fell over on a set of stairs the other day, a man rushed over to help me. I was too embarrassed to take it, and I had recovered from my little spill anyhow, but that was nice of him. And most times I go to the GP, someone from inside rushes to open the door for me, even when their seat was quite far from the door.

It's amazing the things I cannot do. I can't get myself food, or drinks, unless it's been prepared, and I can stay in one spot. Because of crutches, I almost have no hands to get me things, and if I can get something, I have no hands left to move around. So, I can't do anything complicated. Usually, I will get Adam to set out a bowl and cereal, and I maneuver my way to get milk. I end up needing to lightly throw it to get it to where I need it, and then I can have some breakfast. So, as you can imagine, getting together a meal is next to impossible. I can't bring anything to the microwave to heat up, or anything. They recommend using a back pack to carry around things, but probably not for my dinner plate :)

To try to make things easier for Adam, we used to keep a pitcher of water, and some snacks in easy reach, but the ants....oh, the ants...I can't even leave WATER out. They infest my cup, for no apparent reason (I have watched, and watched, and the don't seem to be taking any water back to the nest). Adam has been studying remedies, but so far nothing is working. We can't see where they are coming from, and it's been a huge headache! We've tried the store bought methods, the magnesium powder methods, and now Adam is trying to invent his own.

Luckily, Adam is a willing learner to cook meals (although we have yet to make anything complicated) and feeds me well. I try not to bother him, and when I call on him, try to get him to do a few things at once, so I am not always getting in the way of his day. Also Sharon has cooked us many dinners, all of which have been amazing, and have perfectly have hit the spot! That is THE best thing someone can do, I think. I can't imagine being like this by myself. You definitely need someone to take care of you if you've broken something. If you know someone stuck in bed, or who is having a hard time getting around, offer (and then follow up on it) to bring them a dinner, or go do a grocey shop for them, or tidy up for them.

I haven't needed any aids, other than crutches. They didn't really prepare me at the hospital for coming home, but I should have tried to get a few things, like those toilet handle things. Luckily, I have managed with what we have. I can get up from the toilet ok on one leg, and sit on a stool in the shower, and can stand up from that ok too. I think a wheel chair would be nice, since I can't really go out, and go too far with only crutches. I still need to look into renting, or borrowing one of those.

One thing you NEED if you are bed-ridden is a straw, or a sippy cup. It's hard drinking while lying down, but a straw can solve all your problems. Other than that, we have chairs placed strategically in a few sptots so I can sit down, and I have pretty much sussed out how to do most things (other than get myself food, and other objects).

I think things would be just peachy if it weren't for the pain I am in. This is the reason for so many doctor and hospital visits. I have tried a few things, and on Friday I am going in again to see my GP if this latest solution doesn't work either (which, so far hasn't been working). I can't sleep properly, and getting through the day is quite frustrating, and sometimes difficult. You just don't know what to do to escape the pain.

It's been quite hot lately again, and to cool off, sometimes I spray myself with a spray bottle of water. It's a very fine mist, and if even those tiny drops touch the skin of my foot, I am in agony. The nerves have been damaged, probably from the fall, and now are trying to let my brain know this, but every message they send is "PAIN". Sometimes it fades a little, and I just have a burning sensation, or it tingles, but lately the sensitivity is the main problem. And the shooting pains come mostly at night too, so sleeping is difficult.

I have been doing some reading, and since the fibula is not a weight baring bone, and I was already in a cast for 3 weeks, it's not a big deal that I only have the moon boot now. The tibia is being kept in place by screws, as is the fibula, so that also doesn't need a cast. I pretty much don't wear the moon boot, but still ly in bed all day, with my leg propped up on couch cushions. The pain of the boot on my foot has made me only use it when I am going out, for extra support. I hope everything else is healing well, if my skin is not. I get Xrays again on the 27th, and then I hope I can start some physio exercises.

0 comments: