My Instagram Feed

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Banana Muffins

Finally decided to use my over ripe bananas for some good. I usually freeze them to use later, but that takes some organization on my part, and for the last few months I have let organization fly out the window (we don't have a freezer in our kitchen - it's down 17 stairs to the garage, and I ain't descending and climbing 17 stairs for 11 cents worth of bananas).


Here is the yummy recipe for Banana Muffins, from the "Big Red" Betty Crocker Cookbook.

1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup bananas, mashed (about 2-3 medium bananas)

Streusel Topping
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp cold butter
Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly.

Pre-heat oven to 400F. Grease bottoms only of 12 medium muffins cups with shortening, spray with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

Make streusel topping and set aside.

In large bowl, beat milk, oil, egg and bananas with fork or wire whisk until well mixed. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder and salt all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with about 1 tbsp of topping.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. If baked in greased pan, let stand for 5 minutes in pan, then remove from pan to wire rack; if baked in paper baking cups, immediately remove from pan to wire rack.

At the last minute I decided to add some choc chips to the mix, and still added the streusel topping since I had already made it. They just taste all that much better with the chocolate :) Oh, I also didn't have enough banana, so I grated up an apple to top up the mashed banana.

0 comments: