My Instagram Feed

Monday, April 27, 2009

Macaroons

Everyone has a baking disaster, right (RIGHT?)? Except I'm sure (almost positive) we never share them, and by "we" I mean all of you. I haven't seen all that many in blogland...besides someone showcasing others' (cakewrecks). I have a few saved for just that special moment. Thought I might as well start here...Macaroons.


(edit: as I am about to publish this, I notice one of my favorite blogs just published her disaster! Woohoo! I'm not alone! Aaaand, donuts are something on my list to try baking next...or...soon...we'll see)

They're all the rage lately, it seems, so I thought I would give them a whirl. They're in my new cookbook too, so I just another reason to try them. Whoa. Not what I was hoping for.


As I am writing this, hubby just popped one in his mouth, and said "these are good", surprised, because of all my sighing and complaining while making them I guess. I'll try one later when I am not so mad at them. How come nothing looks like the photo they include in the book!?

Here are my problems with this attempt:
*My oven sucks, and I have to telepathically know how it's going to behave each time I bake (recipes I make often, I have penciled in the oven's particulars, as I learn them).
*Not a fan of the almond meal taste...on UNBAKED MACAROONS! (my first tray of cookies didn't bake through, but were dark on top, and looked nothing like the ones in the photo - I was confused.)
*Finished product looks nothing like the photo, which is probably my fault anyhow.
*Don't like the taste of white chocolate ganache - I used Nestle Melts, so maybe I need to use proper eating chocolate next time. I hate those Melts. Nothing but trouble, every time I use them.

The recipe is easy though, so maybe I will give them another try...with a different recipe...or when I have the skills to pay the bills.

I have no tips to offer, other than bake them through, and give them enough room to expand. They are not fun to peel off baking paper while half baked. And I might try the tip of leaving the egg whites thicken overnight at room temp...sounds gross, but seems to be the way to do it, though my meringue whipped up nicely.

Good luck! Tell me if you've made them, and how they turned out...
Mine:

Theirs:

YIKES.

1 comments:

Unknown April 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM  

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and thank you for the comment. I look forward to checking out your blog. :)