My Instagram Feed

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tiramisu Cupcakes

This comes from my new favorite book. This was about the only recipe Adam decided he wanted to try (he's not so much of a sweet tooth - more of a savory tooth), so of course, any excuse to bake something, I jump on.


This recipe is great, and really easy. It's perfect to make the day before, because the more time spent in the fridge, the better. Save the chocolate shavings for just before serving though. And the "cake" part of the recipe really is like a lady finger - it's a fairly crunchy cake, so just perfect for Tiramisu. I also used Kahlua instead of marsala.


Vanilla Buttercake
90g butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c caster sugar
2 eggs
1 c self-raising flour
2 tbsp milk

Mascarpone Cream
250g mascarpone cheese
1/4 c icing sugar
1 tbsp marsala
3/4 c whipping cream, whipped

Coffee Mixture
1 tbsp instant coffee
1/3 c boiling water
2 tbsp marsala

Decorations
50g dark eating chocolate, grated

1. Preheat oven to 180C (160C Fan forced) or abour 350F. Line muffin tins (makes about 6 large, or 8 or so medium.

2. Beat butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour and milk in small bowl with electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are just combined. Increase speed to medium, beat until mixture is changed to a paler colour. Divide among the cases; smooth surface.

3. Bake cakes about 20 -25 mins. Turn onto wire rack and cool.

4. Make mascarpone cream. Combine mascarpone, sifted icing sugar & marsala in bowl, fold in whipped cream.

5. Make coffee mixture. Combine coffee, water and marsala in small bowl; cool (I actually think you need more coffee mixture, by 1/2 or less, because it doesn't seem to be enough for the 6 larger cakes I made - we still had some crunchy areas)

6. Remove cake from cases. Cut each cake horizontally into four pieces. Brush both sides of cake slices with coffee mixture. Join cake slices with cream mixture.

7. Spread tops of cakes with mascarpone cream; sprinkle with grated chocolate. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving. (I leave the chocolate shavings until just before serving, otherwise they kind of soak into the cream).

* Mine did not stand nicely on their own plate. I put more cream inbetween the slices, I guess. I put them into small bowls instead - and martini glasses for the photos because I don't have any see-through glass dessert bowls.

3 comments:

xx April 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

wohooo!!!
They look very very deliciouss!!!
Are difficult to do or what?

Congrats for your blog!!

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM  

Hi kath! OK- what is castor sugar? And self rising flour? And butter in grams? Does that convert to portions of a cup? You'll have to educate those of us who live "back home"! It sure looks yummy though! One of these days I need to start baking again! (now that I am no longer sticking to my low carb diet!)
Mom

Unknown April 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

Castor sugar is like plain white sugar, just finer grained (you can use reg. sugar)...maybe we call it jam sugar? Or sugar for jam making? Also, there is self-rising flour I'm pretty sure in Canada (at least BC), Aussies call it self-raising, and we call it self-rising, as far as I know, so not that different. I just guess with the butter, since I don't have a scale, but it seems to be 250g of butter = 1 cup, or close to it, maybe a cup is a bit less...I just eyeballed it.