My Instagram Feed

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fruity Cordial*

I picked up this free magazine from our local grocery store, Coles (you can get a pdf copy here). And inside they had just what I was looking for: fruit concentrate syrup. I've looked a few times online for something fruity to make margaritas with, but this was simpler than just about anything I found, and just perfect. Especially since I was in the mood for a nice roof-top drink when we went to see the fireworks from last weekend.

If you don't want the whole magazine, then click on the image below, and it should be large enough to read the instructions:



I didn't have any honeydew (or mint) so I used watermelon, and did another batch with strawberries and kiwis. So simple, so good! I didn't really measure the fruit content, since you are adding the syrup to your drinks to taste anyhow. These were both really nice with pineapple juice, crushed ice and tequila. Not really a true margarita, but I'm no connoisseur. Or have it with soda water - it's like making your own gourmet pop** (oxymoron, I know).


*Translations for North Americans: cordial is a concentrated drink you add to water. Similar to the frozen concentrates we're used to, but the ones here in Oz are usually liquid room temperature versions of kool-aid. They are for kids, and disgusting. Cottees makes those. I hate all their products - they're terrible. There are a few nice cordials by Bickfords, like iced tea and lime, etc...

**Translations for Australians (**edit/ and Americans): pop is soft drink / soda, though I thought most of the aussies knew this... I asked for some orange pop the other day from KFC, and the girl had no idea, NONE, of what I was talking about. But I couldn't think of another word to describe what I wanted...I eventually just said "the orange drink". It's amazing how many misunderstandings there are between "western", english speaking countries. One day I will do a blog post about those...

4 comments:

Bev September 22, 2009 at 3:05 AM  

"Pop" is also unfamiliar here in South Texas. Here it's "soda" or "Coke". "You can bring the cokes for the barbecue" means that you are to bring the non-alcoholic drinks!

Anonymous,  September 22, 2009 at 6:47 AM  

Hi Kath! Yesterday we had the big "cousin" party at our place -from Grandma Baerg's side -the Isaak's- and Dad made a huge container of iced tea and added lime cordial -the stuff you used to buy here.(Rose brand?) It added just a hint of lime flavor iand was really yummy. I'll have to try your ideas! Mom

Unknown September 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM  

Oh yeah I forgot about the American way! I think we should all adopt "soft drink" it makes the most sense...Mom, yeah, the Rose's cordial is so nice in a 'lemon lime and bitters' drink too. I don't think I have ever added it to iced tea. I have some iced tea cordial at home now, so I might try. It seems like lime cordial is a staple here.

troro - the artists behind September 22, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

Glad that your blog is full of colours nowadays, a big sign to me that the hardest part is behind you and that you are looking forward to the wonderful small things in life that make life wonderful !