My Instagram Feed

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Caramel Apple Cider

Since it's been *winter* here (20°C days, 10° nights, so cold, right? Ha!) I do the comforting winter things I miss from not being in Canada. I wear scarves (you'd never, ever really need one), I have worn gloves (ridiculous and embarrassing for a Canadian) and wear my thick fleece PJ's (do-able. But you wake up sweating like a pig).

One thing I miss is Starbucks. They have them here, but believe it or not, I'm pretty sure I don't live within 100kms of one. I've checked. I think Brisbane is the closest they come to me. And, they don't even sell all the wonderful comforting drinks like they do in North America! My favorite one is the caramel apple ciders. So, I make them myself....


Caramel Apple Cider

Ingredients:
1.5 litres apple juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp all spice

Bring all ingredients to the boil, and simmer for as long as you want. I sometimes add another cup of water to the mixture to allow for the reducing. Also, all those flavours can be quite strong, so adding water makes almost no difference to flavour.

Ingredients:
Whipped Cream
Hershey's Caramel Topping***.

So simple, just poor yourself a cup of hot apple cider, top with some stiff whipped cream, and drizzle on some caramel sauce. Such a comforting treat!



***Australia also does not have Hershey's readily available (and if you do find some, it's usually in specialty shops where a small package of kisses costs you $8!!). I had to get my mom to send me some, and then on our recent trip, I brought back a few more cans. But I've made my own before, and it was lovely. Here is the recipe.

1 comments: