My Instagram Feed

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Vintage Hairstyling


I think I fell in love with vintage style, namely 30's & 40's, when I was maybe 13...as soon as I saw the movie Swing Kids. The clothes, the dancing, the music; everything about it is beautiful and inspiring! The care everyone took in their clothes and hair is something to admire. I think it also (probably falsely in most cases) conjures up a feeling of innocence and simplicity, if you forget about the whole World War II thing...I've always wanted to learn how to do my hair in those styles. Since re-runs of The Wonder Years, I've branched my love of vintage into the 60's too.

I've been using hot rollers for a few years now, but kind of making things up as I go. In the past I would try to find rolling patterns online, but those aren't easy to come by. I drew up my own sketches to work from by what I learned by trial and error. I do have a copy of a hard to find, and expensive book, called 1940's Hairstyles, by Daniela Turudich. I've seen it sell for over $400 (but I just looked on ebay, and there are a few, as well as on amazon). I didn't find it that easy to follow, not knowing many techniques myself, and I haven't had the time to perfect any basics. Plus, some of those 40's styles are quite dramatic, and I wanted something I could do for less formal day-to-day things.

So, I bought myself the book Vintage Hairstyling. Sadly, I've had little opportunity to actually try anything with any great effort yet. This book was a great purchase though, because it explains things very clearly. Vintage Hairstyling has a large range of styles too, from 30's to 60's, and is very easy to come by and not expensive. It has great step-by-steps, so all I need to do now is pick up a few more products to get going...


5 comments:

Heidi September 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

Ohhh...come home. lets sit with the book together and do each others hair.

Unknown September 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

Heid, I even brought this book along with me to canada, thinking I'd have a chance to experiment with free time. I should have brought it over on some of our morning-to-afternoon coffees!

Jewels Strilaiff October 1, 2010 at 1:04 AM  

http://ruffledblog.com/2009/05/vintage-hair/
I've always been a fan of the third one down. :)

Unknown October 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Cool, those are fab! Do you mean the one on the bottom right?

Anonymous,  October 5, 2010 at 2:53 AM  

HI Kath! I thought I should check to see if you had posted anything here- and realized that I'd Missed several posts! Now I know why you had rollers in your hair when I "skyped" you the other day! So let's see some pics of the results! Those hairstyles look cool but I can't imagine how difficult some of them would be to do. I suppose all the hair products available these days would help!
Have fun experimenting! Mom