My Instagram Feed

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Squares

This recipe is divine. I didn't think it could be this good. I kind of shy away from cheesecakes, as they are always quite rich, and I don't always feel like something so heavy. This was exactly that, but was worth it! I got it from another Women's Weekly cookbook, this one called Easy Baking. I modified very little, except the cookie base. And this photo shows about the neatest I was able to cut the squares. Very thick and sticky...



Cheesecake
1 package of cookies (about 24).
 (I used 1 pkg of Arnott's choc ripple cookies, but you can use plain choc chip too, or something else entirely...like those chocolate waffer cookies too. I think an Oreo cookie or crumb crust would be so good with this as well. You could separate the cookies, and add the oreo icing to the cheesecake mixture, or layer cookies as-is, if you don't have Oreo crumbs like Australia).
1/2 cup cream
250g white chocolate
500g cream cheese, softened (2- 7 oz. blocks)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
Chocolate Ganache
200g dark, or semi-sweet chocolate
1/3 cup cream

1. Preheat oven to 150°C /  and grease a 20cm x 30cm rectangle pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper (not wax paper) and place cookies in a single layer inside of pan.
2. Melt white chocolate with cream in a double boiler until the mixture is smooth. Cool.
3. Beat cream cheese & sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Add cooled white chocolate mixture and beat well.
4. Poor cream cheese over cookie base, and bake for 35-45 minutes. Cool with oven door slightly ajar. Refrigerate a few hours, or overnight, once cooled.
5. Make chocolate ganache for topping by melting the chocolate with the cream in a double boiler, or carefully over low heat, stirring constantly. Cool 10 minutes, and spread over cheesecake. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
6. Cut into bars, and enjoy!

This isn't on my 'Christmas squares' list, but I think a topping of crushed candy cane, or a mint chocolate ganache would be perfect to add that little bit more to the recipe.

0 comments: